5 Ways to turn a house into a home
Updated: Nov 16, 2020
We are all spending more time at home so we thought we would share 5 of the best ways we found to make the place you live feel more comfortable and homely. It doesn't matter if you own your own home or are renting these Top 5 Tips can easily be implemented to make a big difference.
Lighting plays a big role in how we see and interpret the world and environment we're in, but is very rarely spoken about. Imagine your favorite bar or restaurant but with big modern bright white LED lights, it wouldn’t feel the same. No matter the size of your home or the space you live in, correct lighting can transform any room. Here's our top tips:
- Try adding a table or floor lamp to light a dark corner of the room
- Reducing the brightness of your table lamps. When sitting in the room at night a light glow will feel a lot nicer than harsh bright lights
- Some modern bright white LED lights give of a powerful light that isn't very appealing. They are great while you are doing tasks and need a lot of light but at night when you are trying to relax it's a different story. Try swapping these over with a warm light that has a slight red/yellow tinge, it will make a huge difference.
- If you want to get a bit more creative and are a handy DIYer then why not try creating hidden lighting using strip lights. These can be placed under kitchen cupboards or in skirting, behind sofas or even the TV. Indirect light is great for luminating features without having to see the light itself.
This doesn't have to be a world renowned piece like the Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci nor does it have to cost a lot. Artwork is anything you like and find interesting, it could be family photos a comic book cover, your own drawings or even a sculpture made from stones and shells. The aim is to surround yourself with items you like and find interesting.
If you have an empty wall or a big space then fill it with something you like. With modern printers or the help from your local print shop it's easy and affordable to switch photos and posters as you please.
Why not reach out to a local photographer on Instagram and see if you can buy one of their photos you can frame. One of our personal favorites is on the Gold Coast, Guillaume Cornet from Bluu Media House. Imagine having something like this hanging on your wall Click Here.
Ok so this may sound a bit random and expensive but it doesn't have to be. A lot of our homes have wooden or tiled flooring that is very cold and hard underfoot. Simply putting down a nice rug around the sofa or in the bedroom is a great way to personalise your space further and give you that softness and warm feeling that comes from having textiles in the room and underfoot.
A big rug also has additional features in helping to absorb sounds and stop echoes that can make a room feel empty and cold.
4. Indoor plants
Plants are a great way to bring life into your home and add a splash of color. Walking into a room with fresh flowers on the table instantly draws your eye and puts a smile on your face as you get that sweet fresh flower smell.
If you want something that will last a bit longer why not look to purchase a pot plant for the table or something a bit bigger you can put it a corner to brighten it up. You don't have to stop at your lounge and dining area, why not plant some fresh herbs in the kitchen. Something that looks good, smells great and can be used to jazz up your cooking is definitely a winner in our book.
5. Fill your home with personal mementoes
If you've got empty shelving or random items on your TV unit then why not switch them over and display your favorite books, items from your travels or even quirky things you find interesting. These little touches are a great way to put a smile on your face and bring amazing memories flooding back when you look at them. You can also do this by filling the air with your favourite scented candle or air freshener.
We hope you found some of these tips useful and would love to hear any of your own top tips that we can pass onto our clients.
Contact us today:
0423 269 468